Wednesday, January 20, 2010

IC-706 stock microphone repair. HM-103

A friend of mine was recently faced with a broken tension clip on the RJ-45 of an HM-103 mic. (Stock microphone for the IC-706Mk1)
I offered to replace the connector knowing how easy it should be to just crimp on a new one.

WRONG!

After lopping off the defective end, I was shocked to find that the wire colors in the connector didn't match the colors in the chopped end.

With the flat side facing you the connector was as follows:
Empty,Black,Empty,Green,Black,White,Blue,Empty

The wires in the cable were: Black,Green,Bare,White,Blue,Red.

I couldn't even tell on the chopped end where the bare or red wires go. I searched the web up and down and found several people looking for the same solution. I never found an answer, so I resorted to surgery on the broken end.
I finally discovered that the red wire was simply not used, and the bare wire was surrounded with heat shrink to make crimping easier inside the connector.

So, the correct pin layout is: Blank,Black,Blank,Green,Bare,White,Blue,Blank

I crimped the new end on, and voila. Worked FB.

Hopefully this helps anyone that find themselves needing to make this repair.


3 comments:

  1. Haha. I did exactly the same and realised I was in the sh1t.
    Thanks for the wire layout which also worked FB for me although it's pretty fiddly getting the wires lined up, especially the bare earth.
    Thanks

    Gordon
    MM0GPZ

    ReplyDelete